Calzada de los Arcos, Hercules, Santiago de Querétaro, Qro., Mexico
Acueducto - Calzada de los Arcos
Surprise yourself with the 74 arcs that make of Querétaro a unique city.The aqueduct is the symbol of the city since it was finished in 1735. The monumental arcs are 1,280 meters long and its maximum height is of 28.42 meters, with 74 arcs of middle point similar to roman constructions.
Its original function? Bring water to Querétaro from the valley to the many fountains across the city through this construction. This aqueduct holds a legend. It is said that a Marquis in love was the one who built it after the request of a nun.
Jardín Zenea, Calle 16 de Septiembre, Centro, Santiago de Querétaro, Qro., Mexico
Places you can visit in Queretaro's Downtown (Historic):
1. Historical places. Queretaro is the epicenter of the history of the Mexican nation. Visit the Casa de la Corregidora, where Doña Josefa Ortíz de Domínguez lived, the Pantheon of the Illustrious Queretans and the Theater of the Republic, where Maximilian of Habsburg was sentenced and the current constitution was promulgated.
2. Museums. Be seduced by the permanent exhibitions and collections that are in the museums: City Museum, House of the Zacatecana, Museum of Art, Magic of the Past Museum, Museum of the Restoration of the Republic and the Regional Museum.
3. Temples From the Baroque to the Neoclassical, each façade and many details speak of the colonial past and religious life in Queretaro. The city of Querétaro was the third most important city of the Viceroyalty of New Spain. Visit the Cathedral, the Temple of the Holy Cross and its tree with thorns in the shape of a cross, the church of Santa Clara and the majestic church of Santa Rosa de Viterbo.
4. Casonas y leyendas. In the darkness the old legends and fascinating myths of the houses in the city are reborn. The shops and offices are transformed into the stage of old stories to Chucho el Roto, La Señora de Ecala, La Carambada, the Marquis and other personalities. Actors and musicians who walk the alleys and mansions every night counting their chilling legends. There are companies that offer a variety of tours of legends through the Historic Center such as: Night of Queretaro Appearances (T.140 9123), Legends and Myths of Querétaro (T. 212 4565), Legend Night (T. 212 3995), Querétaro and their Legends (T. 212 8940), The Legends Collect Life (T. 22 5191).
5. Gastronomy. Follow your palate and taste: gorditas in the Guerrero Garden, tamales in Calle Arteaga, churros in 5 de Mayo, milkshake in La Mariposa or enchiladas queretanas in El Arcángel.
6. Places. Querétaro preserves that old province air in the gardens and squares of its Historical Center; they make time stand still and they have plenty of opportunities to sit on a bench and read the newspaper or just watch life go by. You can start at Jardín Zenea, with its nineteenth-century kiosk or at Plaza de Armas, with cafes in portals, restaurants and terraces.
7. Crafts. Know the products made by Queretaro hands. Find looms, embroidery, pottery, ceramics, textiles, sweets and wood that result in beautiful bags, shawls, dinnerware and many other gifts. Discover these products at the Casa de las Artesanías in the Andador Libertad no. 52
8. Theater. The capital of Queretaro has a wide variety of places in charge of disseminating this art, which ranges from classical theater to the best works of contemporary themes, where the viewer moves at the whim of the actor. You can not miss a trip to the Corral de Comedia (Carranza 39) to savor the good provincial theater with rich and abundant dishes of cold meats that accompany the show, a night with the Comedians of the Legua (Guillermo Prieto 7), some laughs shared in the Teatrito La Carcajada (May 5, 48) or a function in the Sun and Moon.
Cerro De Las Campanas, Cerro de las Campanas, Centro Universitario, Santiago de Querétaro, Qro., Mexico
Cerro de las campanas
Historical site converted into a National Park and recreation area
The "Cerro de las Campanas" is one of the most emblematic sites of the city, place of execution of the emperor Maximilian of Habsburg and of the generals Miguel Miramón and Tomás Mejía. The name is derived from a legend that speaks of some stones that are in the hill that, when hitting them, remember the ringing of the bells.
It is currently considered a National Park; Due to its large size, it is the location for courses and workshops. It also has guided tours to learn more about this historical site. Remember to visit the monument of President Benito Juárez, 13 meters high and 7 meters wide. Its imposing size makes it one of the main areas of the park.
Hours: Monday to Sunday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Fundación Carol Rolland, A.C., Calle Melchor Ocampo No. 13-nte, Centro, 76000 Santiago de Querétaro, Qro.
Casa Fundación Carol Rolland
En la casa de usos múltiples de la fundación Carol Rolland se llevan a cabo exposiciones temporales de jóvenes artistas impulsados, becados y promovidos a través de una causa noble como lo es el arte y un espacio dedicado a la creación y promoción de artistas. Te invitamos a conocer este espacio cultural de nuestra ciudad.